First the good things in the movie Raavanan:
1. Beautiful locations!!! Its a wonder, how our film makers missed these places for all these years. The chillness all around the movie, does give a wonderful feeling.
2. The cameraman - Santhosh Sivan. No doubt that Santhosh Sivan is a great cinematographer in our times and this is yet another powerful feather for his cap. His work for Raavanan/Raavan will surely be remembered for a very long time.
3. The actors, especially Vikram and Aishwarya Rai Bachan. Though it looks a bit animated at few places, Vikram is at his best in this movie. Even other actors like Priyamani, Prabhu, Prithviraj have given good performances.
4. Music for the songs. This needs no mention as the songs are already a big hit even before the movie release. This is quite normal for the Manirathnam - ARR combination and I am happy that it worked out even in Raavanan.
and now the bad or the not so good things about Raavanan, to me:
1. Dragging screenplay - As everyone knows the plot is from Raamayanam. The team could have worked a bit more to make the screenplay little more interesting. Except for very few scenes, the first half was rally boring.
2. Missing the tamil nativity - I don't know if I am the only person feeling like this. The location (which they call it as Tirunelveli), the people, the functions they show in the movie everything appeared like an dubbed movie.
3. Childish dialogues!!! You can feel the absence of Sujatha here.
4. Climax - many people might like this climax in the movie. Personally I feel, the scene that comes before the last 10 minutes, would have been the best climax for this movie. (may be Manirathnam wanted to avoid unnecessary controversies)
Overall - a good movie to watch once, if you want to admire the making of the movie.